The workshop focused on the factors contributing to Air Pollution within the region and possible solutions to this issue. There were over 40 participants involved in the workshop itself with a steering panel comprising of Sustainability experts from Primary and Secondary Trusts, the I.C.S. and local Businesses helping to guide the workflow.
As a result of the workshop a new ‘Start from Zero’ working group was formed comprising of representatives from Primary/Secondary care, the I.C.S and relevant businesses.
The focus of this group is to look at more disruptive process and solutions to the Net Zero Aims by starting from the Benchmark of Zero Carbon Footprint instead the usual processes of reducing existing emissions.
The group set out the following aims:
- 1. The aim of the group is to align with the goal of the regional ICS’s plan of being England’s Greenest and Healthiest Region by 2030 by being sustainable in all aspects of work.
- 2. The improvement/challenge suggestions brought to the group should be considered for both Primary and Secondary care and aligned with the ICS Green plans key principles of Sustainable Healthcare:
- Prevention: Improving public health by talking underlying causes of disease.
- Patient Empowerment and Self Care: educating the public and giving patients a greater role in their own health .
- Lean Systems: being more efficient in healthcare delivery
- Low Carbon: eg Low carbon medicines.
3. The group is to use the starting baseline measurement in each proposed process/solution of ‘Zero Carbon Footprint ‘ as opposed to the % reduction of existing processes.
a) A Clean Air Programme has been developed and agreed at board level for both internal AHSN implementation and to enable external facilitation of the I.C.S Clean Air Agenda. This process in on going with first actions being implemented August 2022.
b) As part of the Start from Zero approach and following an internal meeting with Commercial/Comms Director and the Emergency Preparedness process was launched in conjunction with NUTH.
This is a workshop based on a more disruptive processes based on removing the opportunity to incinerate at source and the solutions that could be developed based on this Scenario.